Name:
Location: Israel

I am a father, a husband and a doctor of individuals and communities. I live and work in Israel.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

08/09/2006

Tonight is the 15th of Av. The 10th month in the Jewish calendar. Since we operate on a moon based calendar system the 15th of every month is the night of full moon. This night is the traditional love night (or day) our valentine's. During ancient times young men and women went out to the vineyards and orchids with white clothes. Things would happen under the silvery light of the full moon. Last night we set out to an ancient town located in the middle of the desert. We go there a few times a year for an evening picnic. The moon was almost full, so many stars. The city deserted more than 1000 years ago was preserved so beautiful since it was forgotten in the desert sands. No one came to take the stones of the buildings apart for newer buildings, everything was still for so many years. Some of the houses still stand and it is apparent that houses had two floors and a rooftop terrace overlooking the desert around. Agricultural remnants shows a large population supported by this arid land. Wine making factories were found and this finding was the incentive for current trials to grow grapes in the Negev. Grapes grow well here. Now a few farms grow good quality grapes and wine is again produced in the desert. Three Byzantine churches are the biggest structures in the city. We sat in the courtyard of the northern church. The moon rose bright, local wine was pouring. We celebrated a few moments of sanity in this insane period. We celebrated our love night. Suddenly artillery training in the region started blasting from somewhere in the darkness. The noises are so strong and the land rocks under the feet. My eldest asked whether this is the Hezbollah shooting at us? I told her it is our military. She asked why are they shooting here? And my smaller boy replied that here we have Qasams from Gaza, and the Hamas are the local Bad guys in the south. She agreed. Blasting went on and on... We packed and left. On the way back to the car we looked at the skies looking for the northern star. Suddenly we noticed a group of stars moving in the skies. My daughter said "falling stars" and wanted to make a wish. I noticed these are Aircrafts going up north to wreck havoc in Lebanon.
I hope next 15th of AV will be more romantic, I hope to be alive. I was called to reserve duty.
I hope I will be able to update this blog. I hope this war will end soon. I am afraid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home